Active Topics

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
I just got back from a few days' hill walking in the English Lake District using Maep with the OpenCycleMap overlay for contours and path info.

I pre-cached the Maep tile data at home while I still had an internet connection, then put the N900 in offline mode for the rest of the time (very poor reception up there, if any, plus I wanted to conserve power).

With no internet connection, the GPS lock was extremely good although it took a while (up to a few minutes) to get an initial fix. After that, it was great. Hardly needed the map & compass at all other than to verify my route at the start of a day. (OpenCycleMap is great but I don't trust it with my safety).

Agreed, the Nokia Maps application on the N900 is rubbish compared to 'real' SatNav. But:
1) the GPS on the device is pretty decent.
2) it is perfectly able to get a lock without a network connection, it just takes (up to) a few minutes.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
I just got back from a few days' hill walking in the English Lake District using Maep with the OpenCycleMap overlay for contours and path info.

I pre-cached the Maep tile data at home while I still had an internet connection, then put the N900 in offline mode for the rest of the time (very poor reception up there, if any, plus I wanted to conserve power).

With no internet connection, the GPS lock was extremely good although it took a while (up to a few minutes) to get an initial fix. After that, it was great. Hardly needed the map & compass at all other than to verify my route at the start of a day. (OpenCycleMap is great but I don't trust it with my safety).

Agreed, the Nokia Maps application on the N900 is rubbish compared to 'real' SatNav. But:
1) the GPS on the device is pretty decent.
2) it is perfectly able to get a lock without a network connection, it just takes (up to) a few minutes.

how do i pre chace as id like to cache bits of belgium before i go

Originally Posted by cgarvie View Post
how do i pre chace as id like to cache bits of belgium before i go
Just look at the area you're interested in (at the various zoom levels you care about). I don't know of a better way! Go to offline mode & browse around to confirm what's cached.

The tiles get cached to MyDocs/.maps/ and this can be removed in order to clear the cache.

Posts: 258 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
Originally Posted by spanner View Post
Just look at the area you're interested in (at the various zoom levels you care about). I don't know of a better way! Go to offline mode & browse around to confirm what's cached.

The tiles get cached to MyDocs/.maps/ and this can be removed in order to clear the cache.

cool but not cleared by default.

ie will they go if i cache too early?

Originally Posted by cgarvie View Post
cool but not cleared by default.

ie will they go if i cache too early?
In my experience, and from a quick look at the maep source code, they are never cleared automatically.

I could be wrong on this though so corrections welcome.