Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Android based, dual screen (6" e-ink, 3.5" lcd touch screen), SD card, Wifi, 3G, usable as a phone (via wired headset, no idea about bluetooth headsets). No word about battery size, nor battery life, that I saw. No word on _whose_ 3G (Sprint CDMA? Verizon CDMA? AT&T WCDMA? T-Mobile-USA WCDMA? European WCDMA?).

Almost, but not quite, what I'd want. I've been thinking lately that a Maemo or Android based device with a Kindle DX form factor (minus the thumb keyboard) might be a useful mid-range device. This one basically takes the Kindle 2 form factor and replaces the thumb keyboard with a second display.

Things I'd want:
  • needs to have ports for KVM support (usb host and/or otg, and some form of display out, preferrably dvi-i).
  • a browser that works with non-mobile websites (the default andriod browser only does the mobile versions of Google Apps).
  • While the touchscreen LCD, for virtual keyboard and such, is nice, I'm not sure if I'd prefer that over having a single large touch screen (color LCD or grey e-ink). It's a novel approach, but I think I'd want to play with it some. But, if I use the e-ink display to display an ConnectBot ssh session, then I would need to be able to use the LCD for they keyboard. The tactile feedback wouldn't be as nice as the G1, but if it works, it works.
  • 9" or 10" main display ... 6" is too small for my mid-range device. And, like the Kindle DX, hopefully one whose display can rotate between portrait and landscape.

While I'm fine with having a phone that I don't hold up to my face ... I don't know that I'd always want to be carrying around this device for my phone needs. Instead, I'd probably use it for data only. Or, maybe use it and a regular cell phone behind Google Voice, activating one and/or the other depending on what I'm carrying.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the e-book/e-reader market, as these evolve. Hopefully this is the first one that combines the _OS_ of smartphones (whether or not others also includes the telephony).

http://androidcommunity.com/alex-and...sign-20091019/

Last edited by johnkzin; 2009-10-19 at 21:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post: