Active Topics

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've just started a month-to-month deal with Fido. The start-up costs are steep. $35 for the SIM, then $35 to activate it. Whatever. I expected no better.

I'm paying $40 a month, no extra fees: $15 for minimal (50mins/mo) voice, $25 for 500mb data. EDGE seems good enough for basic web surfing on the bus, checking e-mail, IM chatting, and even, if I'm patient, downloading maps.

I don't like talking on the phone anyway, so 50 mins should do me. And I don't see myself getting to 500 MB when I can't really do VoIP or stream media and I just jump on WiFi whenever possible, which is quite often in my usual day.
qole - I'm on Rogers pay-as-you-go because like you I don't talk very much. There's a way to get "unlimited" EDGE data for $7/month - undocumented but it's nothing shady. The main limitation is that everything goes through a port 80 proxy, so some things won't work. But on my N82 I can browse (http and https), use the Java versions of Gmail/Google Maps, Nokia maps etc. just fine. Just FYI.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by moshbox View Post
Believe me, I miss my Telus pay and go. $10/mo min top up for carry over, vmail, callerid, call forward, call conference all included and not a single billing error in 5 years. Best "plan" I ever had.
That's what my wife's been using. I needed data too so I had to go to the Rogers network. But they insisted that I had to sign up for a year to get data. Then I discovered that Fido didn't ask for that, and they didn't charge the silly $7 monthly "network access fee" and stuff...