Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
Some files show 'H"4AP' (without the single quotes) as the filename in both the File Manager and when using, e.g., the Open command from various applications.

I've definitely noticed this with MP3 files. I'm not sure about other file types.

The file details show the proper filename in the "Name:" field.
osso_xterm shows the proper filename when using "ls".
The files play fine.

Any ideas why this is happening? It's quite common, but doesn't happen to all files.

Andy

I've had to shorten all long filenames to get Maemo to use them. Files never showed up when they were too long. Try shortening the long file names to less than 16 characters and see if it doesn't solve your problem.

Yeah, I know. My whole music collection and movie collection is too long, too!

If anyone figures out how to stop maemo from dissecting the thousands of media files on huge drives full of ID3 tags and stop thumbnailing 15000 Jpegs, rendering it useless, please lemme know...

Last edited by w4csc; 2009-06-21 at 16:44. Reason: add plea....

Posts: 89 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Canada
I don't think it's filename length in my case. The complete path for the files would be /mmc2/Downloads/SN201.mp3 (for example).

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
The file manager and open dialogues don't show filenames for mp3 files, but show the ID3 tags instead, which can at times be annoying. I don't think there's a way to stop the file manager from doing that, so you'll either need to fix your ID3 tags or try an alternative file manager.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: