Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I don't think I voted on this poll; therefore, it is worthless! (just joking).

But, if Nokia cared about such things, they should have been asking us at least six months ago, not now. Of course, if Nokia had officially polled us, the rate of participation in the poll would have been very high.

I get questions in the mail all the time from Netflix, but never from Nokia.

Nokia has a list of 100% of the registered Nokia tablet users, of course, so it could get a very good sample with no effort. Nokia just doesn't care.

It is intuitively obvious that lots of the people who bought tablets would be interested in buying a tablet, so the point of such a poll is unclear in some ways.

Someone here said that a million tablets have been sold; if this is true, I don't understand why Nokia would want to delay the release of a new tablet, as Nokia has. Surely a million is not nothing to Nokia. So I suspect that that number is wrong.

Posts: 900 | Thanked: 273 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Fresno CA USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Nokia has a list of 100% of the registered Nokia tablet users, of course, so it could get a very good sample with no effort. Nokia just doesn't care.
All to many marketing people think they know better than the lowly customers. Not unlike Congress in the US which believes they know better than the voters.
Personal Blog -- 3 Joe's Blog

N810 -- 5.2010.33-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fragos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
But, if Nokia cared about such things, they should have been asking us at least six months ago, not now. Of course, if Nokia had officially polled us, the rate of participation in the poll would have been very high.

I get questions in the mail all the time from Netflix, but never from Nokia.
I've participated in at least 3 different marketing surveys about the Nokia Internet Tablet (presumably correlating with the releases of the 770, N800 and N810), which have shown up in the tableteer RSS feed, pre-installed & enabled on every shipped device.

They even entice entries into the poll with the exciting possibility of winning some Sennheiser headphones.

And, I'd be very surprised if Nokia didn't have other formal market research mechanisms.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Wow, just got to reading this and the responses are quite interesting. I'm part of the pro-3g camp, but only if stupid cellular internet prices go down. Otherwise I'll stick with tethering/wifi.

As for the video out option, that one surprised me, and yet it doesn't. I've actually wanted some form of video out for a while so I could use wearable video goggles or something similar. So something like that would be an awesome accessory! Just thought I'd toss in my $1.95 on this. (That my 2c with inflation, interest and taxes added on. hehe.)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
I've participated in at least 3 different marketing surveys about the Nokia Internet Tablet (presumably correlating with the releases of the 770, N800 and N810), which have shown up in the tableteer RSS feed, pre-installed & enabled on every shipped device.
Interesting. Did they all come in your email inbox?

As anyone knows, polls based on someone going to some site are not very accurate (see CNN live polls, for example), but email polls should be better.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
I think if we want a meaningful poll, we really need to ask people who do that kind of thing for a living. I bet Nokia has some of those people.. and I hope they've done some of those very polls.
Sure, and polls are just one part of the equation.

If you think a company like Nokia makes the investment needed to push a platform and new devices without any market research, think again.

We just need to convince them to show us the data and reports from the polls, etc.
It would help that Nokia competitors would also show their market research data.

Did you ever give your email to Nokia and your authorization to use it for marketing purposes?

As anyone knows, polls based on someone going to some site are not very accurate (see CNN live polls, for example), but email polls should be better.
And as anyone knows, unsolicited emails sent for marketing purposes are considered spam.

In order to use such mechanism you need to get the permission from users, and this causes another bias in the results.

This is why market research is done around several methods, some more quantitative, some more qualitative. For instance, have you thought about the feedback received through the customer care and the distributor channels? All these sources throw plenty of data on your plans and then you need to make choices and decisions to design whatever devices, software, services, marketing activities...

So yes, these polls here are valuable but they are not absolute and must be read within a wider context. Who is wrong? Who is right? At the end some products make users happy and are sustainable or even profitable, and some others are beaten by someone else or fail themselves.

Until now the progression 770 - N800 - N810 has been overall positive, and such progression was made listening potential and current customers in different ways. Same with the next products to come. Business as usual.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
If you think a company like Nokia makes the investment needed to push a platform and new devices without any market research, think again.
I never asserted anything to the contrary.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
In my case they showed up on my tablet right after the OS was booted first time (april 2008) because Tableteer applet is on by default. I remember also one of the first questions of the poll being how long I was a tablet user. Very important question to take into account.

Maybe in your culture; here that is considered UBE unless you gave permission. Which is opt-in. IOW, you need to give permission.

Also interesting, ARM powered Linux laptop demoed...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Also interesting, ARM powered Linux laptop demoed...
That's hot.

Tim

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
That's hot.

Tim
Except for the one with the slide-out thumb keyboards.

Ctrl should never be on the left, on a slide out thumb keyboard. They should swap ctrl and tab. On the right side, they should swap space and enter (having enter right next to alt strikes me as a really bad idea).

But, I like that someone made a 4 row keyboard that has a dedicated number row :-)

Tags
statistics