Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
FoxIt Reader is a PDF reader. It has versions for Linux Embedded, Linux Desktop, Symbian, Windows, and Windows Mobile. It has a FoxIt Reader SDK and a FoxIt Embedded PDF SDK.

The biggest reason I personally wish we had it on the NITs is that it also does conversion to text. (Supposedly only the paid-for version does that, but the free version does it if you select some text and then Select All and copy.) I'm not aware of any NIT-based pdf-to-text converter.

On Windows -- the only version I've tried -- it loads much faster than Adobe's PDF reader.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Code:
apt-get install poppler-utils
pdftotext file.pdf

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Yup, that worked! Thanks, Matan. Man, I love this forum.

Cancel the FoxIt porting request!

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
FoxIt is more lightweight indeed. It also allows one to copy/paste from PDF files.

Evince is a GUI application able to read PDF files. There is a port in Extras on Maemo 4.x. It is also used on Linux desktop. There are other utilities like Okular and xpdf.

There are many utilities which read a proprietary/rich document format to simple ASCII usable in e.g. xterm. Antiword does is equiv of doctotext on tons of platforms.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Anyone tried out Calibre on the tablets yet?

Banned | Posts: 388 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Mar 2010
Hey,

Jumping on an old thread. I couldn't make Calibre work on Easy Debian. Now I have been trying the linux version of FoxitReader, but still no luck [http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/des...download.html]

The latest works on my Fedora 12 (x86). Neither deb nor tgz hasn't worked. The executable in tgz doesn't start (get cannot execute), deb install with dpkg -i fails due to (armel) arch not matching. Pehh, any idea this could be kicking up?

None of the pdf viewers I tried can do more than %400 zoom. What a luck ehh, I need more than 400 Foxit has lots of zooming and seems a light viewer. I actually use Foxit (win32 version) on Linux (FC12) via CrossOver and it works charmingly [it really has very useful annotation tools missing in all other linux pdf viewers]