Posts: 31 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ohio, USA
Hello,

I'm a C newbie looking to jump right into C programming with a project. No, this isn't my first language, I have a pretty fair coding background. I am simply looking for any recommendations as to a project I could either start or contribute to.

Thanks

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
A walkie-talkie program for voice communication between tablets and desktop Linux PCs via TCP or UDP. You'll learn about GLib mainloop, GStreamer, network protocols, codecs... Begin with a simple terminal command line interface and only when everything is working add a GTK+ GUI, Hildon integration (status bar applet, desktop applet...)

How's this?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
There were a lot of requests for a bluetooth applet (it can compliment the "advanced" series of applets).

for starters, should not disappear when the bluetooth is disabled..
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=11468

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by jethro.itt View Post
A walkie-talkie program for voice communication between tablets and desktop Linux PCs via TCP or UDP. You'll learn about GLib mainloop, GStreamer, network protocols, codecs... Begin with a simple terminal command line interface and only when everything is working add a GTK+ GUI, Hildon integration (status bar applet, desktop applet...)

How's this?
Sounds great! I am looking to do something with socket programming involved. My only question..how can this be used?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Z4CHH View Post
Sounds great! I am looking to do something with socket programming involved. My only question..how can this be used?
I would use it to yell to my kids who are not staying in bed on evenings when I'm relaxing on the living room sofa...

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by jethro.itt View Post
I would use it to yell to my kids who are not staying in bed on evenings when I'm relaxing on the living room sofa...
jethro,

if i left a nokia with my kids at bedtime they wouldnt go to sleep.
one would have facebook open, the other would be drawing and finding trains all night.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
z4, regarding your project involvement,
spend some time having a look around and try to find a project which interests YOU.
theres no point us shouting everything at you if they aren't in your ideal field.

having said that, liqbase is written in c and there is a lot of scope for expansion and consolidation of code

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
I just saw a thread that suggested porting a certain Qt based checkers game.