Active Topics

Hi all,

I am using the N800 as a VOIP telephone, with the built-in softphone application.
I experience two problems, that I cannot solve for now.

1) Voice quality is ok, but the sound is frequently interrupted. That happens mainly (but not only) when I do not speak and the overall sound level in the room is low.
Is there a way to keep the connection continuously alive, without such breaks? When I was using a router with VOIP capability + analog telephone connected to it, I could set the router so that the connection was kept alive also during 'silence'. Maybe this is my problem. How is the sound quality for other people using VOIP?

2) After 5-10 minutes talking the call is ended. Does anybody know why this happens?

Doing VOIP with my laptop I have never had such issues.
The N800 has been updated to the last OS released (@ October 2008). WLAN signal is good (i.e. youtube video streaming is smooth, with mytube).

Thanks, leodp

Last edited by leodp; 2008-10-24 at 09:15. Reason: clarifications

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
I use Voipbuster on both a Windows Vista laptop (using the voipbuster Windows client 4.02 build 491) and the builtin voip application on the N810.
Both have a good voice quality. Sometimes I do have short interruptions but this is the same on the laptop, so it is a network / voip(buster) issue.
The only difference is:
- The n810 client does not show the contact list of VB
- Calls issued by the N810 do not issue a caller ID.

Hi,
after a few more days testing I have noticed the issue no longer.
Maybe there were problems on my first day of VOIP use.

The only voice interruptions I can observe now come if I have other resource hungry applications running (web browsing sites with flash animations), or if I launch new applications while talking.

So for me the problem is solved.
Thanks anyhow.

Leodp

The Following User Says Thank You to leodp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
BE sure your Internet connection isn't being pushed to where there might be a bandwidth bottleneck (shut off any bittorrent apps and don't stream TV at the same time using VOIP on ANY computers in your household). Don't have your N800 running other applications (during a VOIP call) because, depending on the app, the N800 CPU might approach max'd out (especially if you are using a BT headset). Don't run the microwave oven when involved in a VOIP call on the N800. It can interfere with anything around 2.4ghz (which both WiFi and BT use). If you live in an apartment building, be aware a neighbor might microwave some food and corrupt your call and you'd not know that was the cause. 2.4GHZ baby monitors can cause issues also.

A buddy of mine uses his neighbor's WiFi for Internet access and my buddies VOIP calls (MagicJack) to me deteriorate periodically....often when his neighbor plays certain games on his Nintendo Wii online. Don't expect excellent VOIP performance on WiFi networks like Starbucks, schools, neighbors, etc.