Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
I don't have a internet service with my cellphone, so I have to load all the maps up in the cache before I leave. I really loved getting to download a whole city or area. But I have not seen a new version of winmapper or any other app that I could use with Maemo Mapper 2.x.
IMHO the ideal would be an app that ran on the tablet itself to download the maps locally.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Cache using maemo mapper's built-in caching feature? . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
Under Maps / Manage Maps... set the zoom levels you want to download and then set the Lat/Long of the area you want to download.

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
ive been struggling with getting maemo mapper to download aprox 300 mb's worth of maps. Im taking a trip soon to mexico, and I wanted to have all the maps cached for the drive down. I select the area i want, and then choose the proper zoom levels to dl, it says so many thousand maps, aprox 289 MB of maps to download. It gets about 3/4 of the way and then beeps and maemo mapper crashes. any idea why this might be happening? I wish that winmapper still worked with the new MM

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
No idea, but maybe try it in smaller pieces. Divide that area into quarters? Or download fewer zoom levels at one time?

The Following User Says Thank You to technut For This Useful Post:
Just to see if I got this clear.

You can cache maps in Maemo Mapper and use them offline just as if you were online? How much space would that take up?

Yes - go to a magnification covering the entire area to be downloaded, select the Zoom tab in Manage Maps, choose the magnifications to download (don't use ridiculous values - besides usability concerns, most map repositories have only resolutions of 5 or 6 down, anything else will waste memory on no extra detail), and wait until the download has finished.

Be warned that large scale maps need huge amounts of card memory - a scale 5 of all Europe or the US will not fit any existing card, and even OSM would probably ban your IP for leeching if you start downloading tens of gigabytes.

A modest 8 to 11 are enough for all areas you only drive past, 6-7 will be enough for your immediate vicinity - 5 or 4 scroll so rapidly while driving that they hardly give any orientation, they are best left for places where you travel on foot.

The Following User Says Thank You to sevo For This Useful Post: