Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
As promised.

Here's the raw material:

it's a pvc cable conduit for electrical cabinets, I took a scrap piece from the workshop at work, used the cover to make the holder and a section where you see all the "teeth" to make the lateral wings.

Here's the finished holder, with an hot air gun it's really easy to fold the pvc. After a bit of work with a file and sandpaper this is the result. Since painting pvc is difficult, I just put a piece of black self adhesive foam on the part that will not be covered by the n800.

Here is from the back, the two wings are glued with pvc glue, but I think that loctite would do. You can see the strip of velcro.

Here, on the top border of the the central compartment door, you can spot the other half of the velcro strip

Here you see the holder by itself

And here with the n800

The view from the driver seat. Once A2DP is fully working both with kagu and maemo-mapper I can get rid of the cable and put a bluetooth receiver in the car.

Last edited by luca; 2007-11-17 at 12:45.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Nice. From your original description, I was picturing some Rube Goldberg device that actually incorporated the hot air gun.

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
I'm sorry that my initial description misled you as you see the hot air gun was just a tool to bend the pvc. In fact that's my second attempt: at first I thought of making it with thin plexiglass, but since I could not find a scrap of it and I was in a hurry, I tried with a cd case, but the result was horrible.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Ireland
Well done - Nice job

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I've made a holder for my N800 from a cork sanding block which cost me 50p from a local DIY store. The block neatly slides into a storage compartment just above my radio.
What I did was measure the distance from the back of the N800 to the stand when open. I then used a saw to cut a slot for the metal stand to slide into, and then painted the block black to camoflage it a bit

Photos are here
http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...3Wik1yfndZem3w

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/lh/pho...oHs39ikwviAx1Q

Last edited by gazza_d; 2008-10-29 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
How do you stick the Velcro to the car? I tried hot glue, but the temperature inside the car becomes so hot that the glue actually starts to melt! Right now I am using a complicated system of yarn to hold the holder in place. Don't ask.

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

So at the MIT swapfest I got an awesome suction cup mount for $3, so I bolted the mount that came with the N810 onto it.
I was in the process of putting a built in power and audio cables last week. But my engine blew... again... So I'm tinkering with that first.
Anyway, here are some pics.

front view

side view

Last edited by 987687; 2009-04-20 at 13:47.