Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
And I don't see why a small tablet should be burdened with a desktop OS. In fact, I'm with those thinking Hildon should go even farther toward being unique.
What would be gained by that? Presumably you mean getting away from GTK+.. (or if not, then I didn't understand what you meant.. which is a fair possibility). I don't see why replacing GTK+ with something else would gain us much. It looks like qt-embedded may require less memory (but I'm only guessing, based on the fact that my old Zaurus have only 32MB RAM available). Replacing GTK+ with some type of embedded UI library would simply mean that less applications would become available. I'm currently working on a sat tracking program, for example, and I wouldn't do that if I couldn't do the main development on a standard Linux box. And I target it at OS2008, because the hildon/gtk+ APIs/libs have been more merged.

In fact the poster 'dont' had a good point: Even if it's true that Hildon can't be just a theme, it could presumably have been done on the library level instead of at the API level: The GTK+ runtime library could have been a Hildonized version, where the standard GTK+ window would be what is today (or rather for OS2008) a Hildon.Window function. And so on (at some point this wouldn't necessarily be able to continue because of missing one-to-one matches. That could be fixed too.)

I have a 770, and have been considering to go for the 800...
But i guess i'm switching.I think the price nokia is selling the 810 is too high for what it is.The good points for the 810 are the form factor, gps and bluetooth...But also has many bad points.
In fact, those good points makes the n7xx/n8xx functionality be reduced to PMP's with GPS, as it has only the benefits of those kind of devices.And that kind of functionality is more or less present on the 770.
Anyway, i think it's a really baaad move from nokia increasing the price on the 810.

About Hildon and so...really, in two years (being VERY pessimistic), we'll be running full-blown linuxes on this kind of devices (the eeePc is just one)...And all the developers have learned about Hildon will be of little or no use, after having suffered a few API changes and all.
Really, making those battery-life-benefits and screen-state benefits transparent to the developer, (in fact , the whole framework) will make the developer base feel better with the platform, instead using their time for more standard devices.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
I've just ordered one of the 4GB 512MB Eees, and have been told it will arrive next Tuesday. Considering the state of the rs-px household finances this wasn't a good idea, but I'll post a mini-review here when it lands, looking specifically at N800/Eee comparisons.

Posts: 255 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ United Kingdom
Here's a pretty cool guide to tweaking the Eee:

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsid=4062

Installing WinXP is easy provided you have an external DVD drive (apparently some essential apps are on a supplied Asus DVD). It boots pretty damn quick too, as you can see from the video on the page. Memory expansion is also cheap and easy, although the solid state storage device is soldered to the motherboard.

The Eee really does seem to hit all the right buttons. Apparently they're selling six every second over in China.