Active Topics

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Brooklyn, NY
I never had an n800, but considered it seriously when the price dropped. I decided to stick with the n810 pre-order I had in though, and I'm happy I did. I have the same complaints about the d-pad and light sensor that others do, but for me the keyboard is indispensable - I vowed never to buy another web/productivity device without a real keyboard because I hate handwriting recognition and soft keyboards so much. After just a few days working with it, I can say that I'm pretty happy with my choice, and that the shortcomings so far few and minor.

As for the whole light sensor issue, I find that most of the time I end up using the device with the keyboard extended anyway, and resting my thumb on the left side of the keyboard. If I'm reading an ebook I generally do it in rotated mode, so the light sensor isn't an issue. Clearly it's poor placement, though there's nothing to be done about that in this iteration (except maybe disabling it? I haven't even looked to see if that's possible).

The major thing I'm disappointed about is the GPS. I feel a little ripped off that the GPS is so poor in the device, and that I'm expected to pay extra down the line for "real" navigation. I'm hoping that eventually this will get better with some firmware revs though.

This is my first post here, so hidey-ho to all the n810ers!

How are you finding the speakers on the 810? I like the front mounted speakers on the n800 and I have a media player that has the speakers side mounted like the 810. The problem with that is the sound goes away from me rather than towards me. I find when not using headphones with the device I have to cup my hands around it to reflect the sound towards me.

I really like the speakers and their position on the n800 though (default headphones are worst I've ever owned, but like the built in mic).