Active Topics

Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
Have we found out yet if the N9 can make phone calls? Goddammit.
It did take all the way to N900 announcement before most of the old members here believed that it will actually make calls.

With one MeeGo device in horizont from Nokia this year it just could be that it wont be making calls and some of the old members would be getting what they wanted N900 to be.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
Then you must be thrilled with the Microsoft thing... They made apple irrelevant in the 90's, and now the 360 is out "gamming" the PS3. They may be evil but never under estimate the power of the Darkside!
Meanwhile, Microsoft's mobile division has tried and failed to make Palm irrelevant, even during the worst of Palm's days, and they became even less relevant as time went on when they tried to compete against the Apple iPod, then the iPhone and now against Apple, Blackberry and Android.

And now I saw a report pointing out that smartphone/tablet sales are beginning to outnumber PC sales this year. Will this begin to make even Microsoft's cash-cow WINDOWS ON THE DESKTOP increasingly irrelevant? Windows in the server room is already as irrelevant and unimportant as makes hardly any difference to most services and companies if Microsoft were to disappear today. The ONLY area where Microsoft has managed to maintain relevance ever since Balmer took over is the XBOX 360 division (ironically, the one division that Balmer self-admits that he wants nothing to do with).

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Atm. I expect the future N9-01 or whatever the device scheduled for 2011 is, will be much like the Panasonic DMC-FZ60. Never again mentioned by official channels.

Well, consider me surprised. And correct.
The most surprising part for me was that Nokia today totally pissed on Qt. Even specifically said that we're not bringing Qt to WP7 - our new primary smartphone OS. They've been setting up Qt as the core strategy of pretty much all their platforms, and that's the unifying glue that even makes it sane to have the MeeGo platform. If they drop Qt like this, MeeGo will have no strategic value for their primary OS any more. So MeeGo is pretty much pointless too, now.

Even if that was where Nokia were heading this time, what on earth did they have to gain by announcing that Qt is not part of their planning?

No, this all reeks of Microsoft. All gain goes to Microsoft.
I can remember all the "NOKIA IS COMITTED TO QT" and "WHY WOULD NOKIA BUY QT IF THEY'RE NOT DEDICATED TO IT" every time I criticized Nokia's lack of commitment to Maemo and MeeGo, with assurances that Nokia would NEVER just turn around and go Windows Phone 7 or Android. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Meanwhile, Microsoft's mobile division has tried and failed to make Palm irrelevant, even during the worst of Palm's days
I don't know, Palm was running winmo for a long time and it ended with them getting bought and the brand thrown away. If anything, that situation looks a whole lot like this.

Their turn around was a tad late, though it looks like HP gave them enough of a cash infusion and freedom to carry out their ideas.

And now I saw a report pointing out that smartphone/tablet sales are beginning to outnumber PC sales this year. Will this begin to make even Microsoft's cash-cow WINDOWS ON THE DESKTOP increasingly irrelevant?
Very likely, which is why they managed to get Nokia to go all-in on Windows Phone 7. They've got to get in the lead and ensure the future of mobile computing is one they control a significant portion of.

After all, the way for mobiles seems to be DRM'd, locked-down walled gardens, and they want to ensure there are no outs.

Ah well, all today's announcement does is rearrange my "who will I buy mobiles from" list. Sadly, I don't know if HPalm will be selling webOS cellular devices directly, or if anyone that (long shot) uses MeeGo will do the same. That's one thing I did like about Nokia, direct end-user sales of their devices. I wonder if that will dry up.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
After all, the way for mobiles seems to be DRM'd, locked-down walled gardens, and they want to ensure there are no outs.
Well, I don't know what to say to that. As I began wandering through Maemo over the years, I began to notice the hidden walls behind the hedges of what LOOKED like an open garden. I started to notice all the closed-source drivers, the closed-source applications you couldn't replace or remove without causing significant damage due to all the dependencies that Nokia seemed to go out of their way to implement instead of working on openness. Then we watched as the OviStore was added and then there was that secret MMS message to Nokia that deleted itself to hide... and the half-hearted support of MeeGo and QT lately. It would seem to me that I'd prefer a walled garden where the walls weren't hidden and, in fact, have fewer walls to start with.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Ah well, all today's announcement does is rearrange my "who will I buy mobiles from" list. Sadly, I don't know if HPalm will be selling webOS cellular devices directly, or if anyone that (long shot) uses MeeGo will do the same. That's one thing I did like about Nokia, direct end-user sales of their devices. I wonder if that will dry up.
Are you saying you can't buy a device by other manufacturers? I mean.. I bought my Samsung Galaxy Tab from Best Buy, not from Verizon. They did sell several iterations of the Galaxy Tab (for each carrier). Nokia was effectively doing the same thing except that I could barely find a Nokia smartphone in any store (tons of cheap, cheap feature phones, but barely any Symbian and never an N900). I mean... I bought my Tab without any Verizon service at all--just bought a Tab.

Is that what you mean? Or did you mean you could buy it online a the Nokia website store? Personally, I like buying my devices in a place where I can get face-to-face contact, hands-on with a device and I know I can return it immediately without waiting for shipments and an indeterminate period of time before I get a replacement.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
How is this for rumors:

Eldar: "Yes, Elop screw Intel and said that Nokia arent going to produce MeeGo devices If Intel not going to pay for that Again Maemo6 in dev"

Wait, what?

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
A significant part of the "cost" of developing a new design like RM-680 is going to be ensuring it doesn't fall apart, or failure of the complicated hinge mechanism.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but interestingly, this report on techcrunch says that the first Nokia Meego phone was actually rejected by carriers due to the "flimsy hardware keyboard mechanism".

Originally Posted by techcrunch.com
We’ve also learned that Nokia’s first MeeGo device, originally scheduled to be announced late last year, has been sent back to the drawing board by operators.

The problem, says our source, is in relation to the “flimsy’ hardware keyboard mechanism, which fell short of operator standards. This is surprising as it’s thought to share a similar hinge to the N97 and E7, both of which were accepted by carriers, although it could be that MeeGo requires a larger CPU and battery compared to Symbian and therefore leaves less room in the chassis. As a result, the first MeeGo smartphone, thought to be the N9-00, has indeed been canned. Instead, a second (and possibly last) MeeGo smartphone on the roadmap – the N9-01 – sans physical keyboard will be pushed out first, as earlier reported by Engadget.

Interestingly, well-placed sources also tell us that the device won’t feature the stock MeeGo UI but instead one designed by “a three person external team rather than any of Nokia’s hundreds of internal designers.” It could be announced as early as next week at Mobile World Congress.
I do not know how reliable that website is (or its sources) but it may be of interest to some people.

Last edited by caa; 2011-02-12 at 17:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caa For This Useful Post:

Tags
cia debunked, its true, n9 is a myth, no kia, scifi, top secret