Active Topics

Notices

hi all ....
I've got a silly question here .... u might think it to be stupid but here it is -------- will widgets eat the battery power ? I mean as the no . of widgets or shortcuts increase on the homescreen , will i be running out of battery more faster ?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate

Hmmmm. I shouldn't think so. Not unless they are very CPU intensive and require a data connection 24/7 to function. i.e RSS feeds are a big power drain.

But if you put the phone into standby and leave it for a couple of hours, you'll find your widgets haven't changed since you put it in standby.
Install the Desktop Photo Applet and start a slideshow, you'll see what I mean. It's also noticeable when you have Desktop Clock Widget on there as well. You'll find the clock freezes at the time you put the phone into standby, then jumps forward to the correct time when you bring it out of standby.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
depends how well they;re made, if they run in bg or not

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by abhideva View Post
hi all ....
I've got a silly question here .... u might think it to be stupid but here it is -------- will widgets eat the battery power ? I mean as the no . of widgets or shortcuts increase on the homescreen , will i be running out of battery more faster ?
Not all of them.
Some widgets (especially the ones that refresh data periodically from the net or GPS) can eat some battery.

The dangerous ones are those that are poorly constructed or experimental as they can contain bugs or memory leaks that lead to battery drain.

so can anyone post here a list of "secure" widgets"?
i mean those we can use without fear of battery or cpu drains?
thanks

For sure they are!

Since a month or so i use only shortcuts, and with the same use as always: surfing, email, chat and listem music, my N900 goes from less thatn 8h to 11h before i need to reload!

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Hmmmm. I shouldn't think so. Not unless they are very CPU intensive and require a data connection 24/7 to function. i.e RSS feeds are a big power drain.

But if you put the phone into standby and leave it for a couple of hours, you'll find your widgets haven't changed since you put it in standby.
All widgets are not constructed this way, its possible to have it update even though the screen is off. And I don't think theres many widgets that require 24/7 data connection, most should update periodically(IE. 5/10/30/60/720/1440 minute intervals). That is individual for each widget, though.

Tags
battery, maemo5, nokia n900, shortcuts, widgets