Notices

Good idea!!

for now, a zeemote is enough for me

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Not 'there', I meant closer to the actual supposed L & R positions. Maybe with some sort of foldable extensions.

Some games are simply unplayable without your index fingers on L & R.
Oh, I see.
Well, from a design standpoint, it would require more work, bulk and weight. From a business standpoint, more money.

I think this would be the way to go for a usability to price ratio.

BTW, if I actually wanted to make one - that gray panel is a layer of hard rubber. That would make it easier to hold for longer periods.
What I do need to figure out is that snapping mechanism.
Does anyone know if there's actual metal/aluminum under the keyboard for a magnet to stick onto?

It's a great idea a gamepad add-on, and your design is a good start.

BUT,

I am no expert but wouldn't magnets play havoc with the tablet in one way or another?

Good idea but a few issues imho:

Stability: I dont think magnets will help hold it strong enough for those action-packed-button frenzies. I think some sort of physical hold would do more justice.

Battery Life: It is no secret that Bluetooth uses alot of power. So it would be quite hard to squeeze in a very gaming-oriented control system and the antenna and a large-enough battery to power this. A solution could come in the form of USB attachment from the N900 to the gamepad to charge it, which could be optional (like a last resort) since it hinders the comfort of holding it.

Shoulder buttons: These buttons were designed to be pushed by your index and middle finger to compliment your thumb-buttons. If there is a game where you need to, for instance, quickly push R1 and B or L2 and down, this is going to be an issue. Solution? maybe have the emulator/game/App use the phone's camera and volume buttons.

Shoot 'n Move: When your playing fps or 3rd person shooter you need dual D-Pads/Joysticks or 1 D-Pad and 1-Joystick. Why because usually the left D-pad/Joystick acts as the controls for movement and the right for aiming your weapon. Some have experimented using the Touchscreen or the Accelarometre for the right controls but the general consensus is that it is uncomfortable and/or not up to snuff. So with your current design this is impossible or possible (with Accel/Touch) but unfriendly.

I hope this constructive feedback could have been of any use. Besides those few (but major) points, this is a good design, well done. See my concept (with built-in battery, USB host, feasible shoulder buttons, gamepad with casing) for more ideas.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Good idea but a few issues imho:

Stability: I dont think magnets will help hold it strong enough for those action-packed-button frenzies. I think some sort of physical hold would do more justice.

Battery Life: It is no secret that Bluetooth uses alot of power. So it would be quite hard to squeeze in a very gaming-oriented control system and the antenna and a large-enough battery to power this. A solution could come in the form of USB attachment from the N900 to the gamepad to charge it, which could be optional (like a last resort) since it hinders the comfort of holding it.

Shoulder buttons: These buttons were designed to be pushed by your index and middle finger to compliment your thumb-buttons. If there is a game where you need to, for instance, quickly push R1 and B or L2 and down, this is going to be an issue. Solution? maybe have the emulator/game/App use the phone's camera and volume buttons.

Shoot 'n Move: When your playing fps or 3rd person shooter you need dual D-Pads/Joysticks or 1 D-Pad and 1-Joystick. Why because usually the left D-pad/Joystick acts as the controls for movement and the right for aiming your weapon. Some have experimented using the Touchscreen or the Accelarometre for the right controls but the general consensus is that it is uncomfortable and/or not up to snuff. So with your current design this is impossible or possible (with Accel/Touch) but unfriendly.

I hope this constructive feedback could have been of any use. Besides those few (but major) points, this is a good design, well done. See my concept (with built-in battery, USB host, feasible shoulder buttons, gamepad with casing) for more ideas.
First of all thanks for the constructive criticism.

Yes, the magnets are just a thought and it won't likely work all that well. Also certain magnets will not affect the tablet in any way. Especially since it has no HDD.
Clip on is the way to go although it adds a lot of bulk.

L/R button - again, bulk. I'd rather they be somewhat usable than having none at all with bulk in mind.
The camera/vol buttons are extremely uncomfortable and are not durable for gaming. They will break.

Bluetooth - yeah, it will cost battery life. But I'd rather have an analog stick and tactile buttons than a clip-on to the keyboard.
USB host mode is also good but will add more bulk - not too much. I could run on two watch batteries or a single AAA.

I went with one analog stick for a simple reason - having more buttons would mean I'd have to compromise on clutter and the size of the buttons. I'd rather have bigger more comfortable buttons. Most games on the N900 don't require dual analog controls. The only one I can think of is Armageddon for the PS1 heh.

What I'm thinking is adding more plastic to the left side so it would connect to the USB port and some kind of clip-on system.
I'm still going to improve this render and concept since I find this little project very interesting

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
this is awesome...

could someone please link the thread in which the gentleman fabricated a bracket that attaches the n900 to a ps3 remote? thank you...

Tags
i don't even, what is this