/etc/bluetooth/main.conf
comment out: DisablePlugins =network,input,hal
I did that and rebooted the phone.

Originally Posted by Halftux View Post
- [PC] if the device is not up bring device up and get an ip address
Code:
ifconfig bnep0 up
dhclient bnep0
bnet0 is up and dhclient is trying to obtain an IP adress, but it can't get any from the N900.

Frankly, I'm about to give up here. Networking is really not my strong suit and I'm not really motivated to change that.
Now that I know there are multiple "ways" of tethering I discovered, that nm-applet actually uses dun when setting up a bluetooth connection. So I'd rather follow that path, if any.

Originally Posted by Macros View Post
Instead of bluetooth you can also easily use wireless tethering.
There is an app called "Qt Mobile Hotspot", which I have found to work quite reliably.
I actually have it installed for ages. Originally I didn't want to use it, because of WEP and because afair it sometimes doesn't seem to shut down wifi properly (AP is terminated, but power drain stays high).
Out of desperation I tried it anyways, but by that time I had messed up settings genwall so hard, that I didn't know how to help myself, other than rebooting the device. After the reboot it worked fine though.

I still don't feel very comfortable with this solution, and since I already have a fallback via USB I'm not sure I'll use the wifi approach.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: