View Single Post
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jalladin View Post
and after using them ( Google and Wikipedia ) i thought to look to the maemo community for the simple answer, not only what rsync is in "laymens terms sicne we all aren't as technologically inclined", as well as maybe get insight on how it would benefit a inexperienced tablet user, me being a newbie and all.
In that case, you'll get better results asking the question you have, rather than asking a vague, alternative question you expect people to somehow guess means something else. So, perhaps:

Originally Posted by Mirror jalladin
I've done a bit of quick reading on rsync, but I don't understand what "file and directory synchronization" means or how such a thing could help.
Well, "file synchronization" means that given a desktop with files A, B, and D and a tablet with files A, B, and C rsync could be used to synchronize the two computers, making sure both have files A, B, C, and D. rsync can do the same with entire directories, and it does its work across the network, so there's no need for a USB connection. The desktop and tablet need not be anywhere near one another, in fact.

Therefore, someone could use rsync as the basis for building a tool that synchronizes audio files, video files, and playlists between a desktop computer and a tablet. An iTunes replacement, of sorts.

Plus, the rsync-besed solution would potentially have the advantage of working anywhere a tablet can get an Internet connection. So, upon emerging from the wilderness after a week of backpacking on another continent, you could find a cafe with WiFi, power up your tablet, and pull in all the podcasts your desktop has downloaded while you were out of touch.