View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Still, you don't see every day companies pointing to open hardware platforms like the Beagle Board or releasing the kernel source code before any related product is out. Users still might prefer 'blurry pictures' but to developers these steps tell and give a lot more. And we do those pre-releases because we care about open source.
So you really believe there are lots of third-party developers out there, rolling up their sleeves, developing new OMAP3 apps, and running the Alpha SDK on the BeagleBoard to test them out?

I hope that this "Use the BeagleBoard to develop for Maemo 5" approach is yielding some results with some developers out there. Maybe developers who have access to hardware like HSDPA chipsets and high-definition cameras that can be used with the Alpha SDK.

So far, Fremantle Extras-Devel has some rough NIT ports, but all the things that differentiate the new devices from the current tablets (except OpenGL and my PC's powerful processor) are not available to me to experiment with.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what happens when the first third-party developers get their hands on the new devices and start making apps that take advantage of the new hardware. What will happen when the developers have a powerful processor, high-definition camera, always-on HSDPA, mobile form factor, and standard Linux available to them?

I'm hopeful!

And I know this thread really isn't about open source software, but I was very pleasantly surprised to find Modest in the Ubuntu repositories. Neat!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: