View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Do you know if Chen trying to design a pocket Computer or a smartphone with qwerty? Or just trying to achive a topnotch slider/QWERTY experience?
As far as I know, he definitely aims at offering a smartphone with hwkb, not a pocket computer. For instance, the keyboard should be made for thumb typing, as opposed to the Gemini's, and the slider is also more convenient for handheld use than the clamshell on the Gemini. Nonetheless, I am sure a hwkb smartphone with cursor control (or accurate stylus like the N900) could perform better as a mini computer than the Gemini. At least on the move, since I don't know if the Livermorium will have video-out.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Gemini and would probably buy one if there was no Livermorium project in the picture, but the clamshell makes it a PDA (or computer when booting Debian) and uncomfortable phone, whereas the lack of accurate cursor control makes it uncomfortable for PDA/computer use. In the end, it could be unconfortable in both cases. The Livermorium could use that to bring together the best of both usecases with slider + trackpad, and better compete.

We don't know if it will be as interesting as the Gemini for multibooting, I hope it will. But even if it does not, as long as I have 4G, I can stream with no latency (Parsec, Shadow) a remote computer and therefore make it a PDA/computer. And it's great, except for the immense frustration of having to use a touchscreen with big fingers missclicking and hiding what I want to ckick. Plus, in case of a hwkb phone, the screen is further from the fingers, I remember fron the Jolla + Tohkbd that moving the hands all the time to touch the screen was getting old.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-08-02 at 10:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: