Thread: USB keyboard ?
View Single Post
Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by lbattraw
As far as hooking up this beast... A USB cable has four colored wires and a braided shield (see http://pinouts.ru/data/USB_pinout.shtml at the bottom of the page). To get this to work I hacked off the male end of a USB extension cable. I then hacked off the male end of a male USB->mini USB cable like the one that ships with the 770 and connected each wire from the extension cable to the mini-USB cable (red->red, black->black, etc.). This does not work by itself, since the 770 and USB device require power. I re-hooked the red and black wires of male end of the USB->mini USB cable up to my existing red/black connections, leaving the white and green wires of the male connector unconnected. Plugging the male connector into a USB hub provides power for the 770 interface and keyboard.
If I understand the photo right, as well as your description, you've got a regular 770-to-PC cable connected to the 770 and to the USB hub, which you then cut in two. And you've got a USB extender cable connected to the keyboard's cable, and you've cut off the extender's male end. (Obviously that means you can use this connection with any other USB device.)

After you cut the 770-to-USB hub cable in two, you connected both red wires with the red wire of the cable to the keyboard, and then the same for black.

Then you connected the green wire from the 770-connected cable to the green wire of the keyboard cable, and likewise the white. You left the USB hub-connected green and white ends unconnected.

And of course the USB hub has AC power. (Presumably the battery-powered USB hub from Cyberpower would work too.)

I think all I've done is describe the cables by what they connect to, instead of what type of USB end they have -- easier for me to follow, especially with the photo.

This all makes sense. But there's one part of this whole situation I don't understand. I accept that you need to do this, but I'm confused about why, if the USB hub is supplying power to both the keyboard and the 770, plugging both the 770 and the keyboard into the hub doesn't work.

Appreciate your clarifying that for me.

Roger