View Single Post
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Central Illinois
Here's my two cents...

Until recently, I was strictly an end-user of software. Then I chimed in on a discussion on crossword puzzles and ended up becoming a developer on xword. If I had been forced to set up the garage project myself, I probably wouldn't have since I'm lazy. As it is, I like the svn repository, but never utilize any of the bug/tracker facilities at the garage.

I had no real idea where to announce xword, so I initially just uploaded a .deb to the original forum discussion post. When the program was less buggy, I placed an [Announce] post in the Software area and monitored it for bug reports. As it stands, I still don't know what is the "best" procedure for announcing a software release.

I am worried about the fragmentation issue, but what I REALLY want is some clear documentation on the procedure for creating/distributing/announcing software. Can we come to a consensus on that? Even if we do have several correct "paths" (e.g. garage, maemo.org/downloads, forum, etc.), I want to be able to reference a document and point others to it as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to terrencegf For This Useful Post: