View Single Post
Posts: 52 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ CZ & US ex-(UK/France/Switzerland/Canada)
Hey all!

I am currently living in Canada (and also have US paypal and bank accounts), however, my permanent residency is in the Czech Republic (EU). I am happy to assist anyone from US/Canada who would like to buy Sailfish X. Feel free to PM me for details.

PS: It could be that there are some 'hidden' legislation-related reasons why Jolla doesn't want to sell an OS in the region. Maybe, in order to be officially allowed to do so, you need to be co-operative with some of the three-letter organizations... I do not have any information and evidence for this so don't quote me here, I'm simply trying to come up with a plausible story that sort of makes sense. Also, we should keep in mind that Sailfish X is supposed to be (at least for now) a community project. And I bet Jolla does know us - their community - and they are definitely aware there will be many Europeans who will offer assistance to many from the US (hidden pun^TM). But do you really expect them to officially write sthing like "If we wanna sell a phone OS in the US, we need to have a backdoor for organization XYZ. So we won't do that, and you guys from the US just email your mates in EU and do what needs to be done" ? I doubt. So let's wait what will be the exact conditions, but I would be surprised if they will pro-actively fight against this gray-area of software smuggling (who would believe that there is gonna be such a thing as smuggling software). Also, we should not expect them to publicly write "guys, guys, calm down, the system is designed to be hacked"

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to Wolda For This Useful Post: