View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Basically from using jolla1 in landscape. Try that. Start with unlock your device with a code...
But how relevant is it? You should probably not base all your assumptions about the capability of Sailfish handling a landscape keyboard slider... On your experience using Sailfish in landscape without the keyboard.

The tohkbd really helped a lot in all ways, from just handling the device without an awkward uncomfortable grip (since you don't risk touching or obstructing the screen by mistake) to general use with the key input. Things like Alt+Tab or ability to type codes with the hardware keys really change the experience, and Dirkvl and Kimmoli managed to have them very well integrated in Sailfish. Heck, Sailfish even started to support hardware keyboards in the Input section of the settings in a later update.

From my experience with the Jolla+tohkbd, I can tell Sailfish is not bad at all for handling a landscape keyboard slider (I don't even see how Android would do better), and it does not cripple it either. You can still use it in portrait mode with the touchscreen without any sacrifice (which was not the case in Maemo 5, despite all the good things I think about Maemo 5, it did not shine by its portrait mode capabilities). I think this is what the Lauta is about: a landscape keyboard slider with a modern OS (not something limited to hackers, but compatible with them) and still an everyday "smartphone".

About Harmattan, I'm not sure it's an option. Is it fully open and maintained? I loved Harmattan (except the Aegis blob), but even if it could be ported, we don't want something that is not maintained anymore and will bring tons of security flaws or be incompatible with newer protocols and applications.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2017-07-22 at 20:23.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: