View Single Post
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post

In retrospect, I think my biggest problem was that I prefer to know what I am doing, which was not always the case here. ...
It is not your problem, I too felt uneasy feeling something is not streamlined in those instructions but I am not "clever" enough or say interested or even up to date enough to know all those terms by heart at the time of flashing.

Following the instructions monkey wise is the only option.
But I don't like install this, install that and without mentioning how to clean my system afterwards.
We are not all developpers that keep a few images of a clean system in case it gets polluted.

-we could indeed be explained WHY we need such or such step
-or find a glossary at the end of the procedure.
-let people learn something during the process, so they'd remember it for the next time
-and after flashing, we should be shown how to clean our OS of (fastboot drivers, flash tool this or that..)

Jolla has followed the trap of "need ecosystem" but forgot about "OS upgrades / installation should be fun and event to look forward to".

Hence I am not looking forward to flashing Sailfish X on let's say the Sony XA2. Only if I was to do it as my daily job in service of tens or hunreds of other users I would accept to learn such procedure once. And I truly believe I would write a better procedure after a couple of days. And I am not exactly known for capability to keep it brief and structured but I am capable to imagine myself in other's persons place reading these instructions first time.
Sailfish X supposed for early adopter nerds only because we can't write fun to follow, correct, up to date and if possible, brief procedures?

My virtual mobile network provider wanted us to swap sim cards because they are changing network provider.

They sent a letter out with instructions.
After the first 3 lines of instructions, it read:
"please see on the back for the next 5 steps. Just joking sorry. You're done. Enjoy. "
For all those non -interested just following the monkey trail that is a gesture of understanding.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post: