View Single Post
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Just because Debian has an equally weird workaround doesn't make this any better.
I know. I was referring to your "The mere existance of this package is a great indicator for how broken *Maemo* really is." (emphasis added).

Then why did you switch to Debian at all?
Convenience. For a couple of years I actually didn't use Linux at all (I missed the HAL party, which is sort of a good thing and then I came back with some Ubuntu version, which I half-liked. Then I switched to Debian to like it a bit more, and there I am. For now it's SID everywhere (yes, including my VPS! . From what I remember using Slackware would require a bit more maintenance-effort which I cannot afford (it's enough with 3x sid, 3x maemo, 1x ubuntu (wife), 1x android (wife), 1x openelec (OK that doesn't count) and 1x openwrt).

Don't worry, I won't. This distro made me fail on my first attempt to leave Redmond. I just didn't see enough differences to justify the learning curve.
When I found myself looking for the control center in Suse and yast in Windows I decided to get rid of it.
Lol I never used SuSE with a GUI, but one thing I hated from SuSE was that YaST kept overwriting my configuration files. This is something I seriously hate. So far both Slackware and Debian have respected this. SuSE didn't. I only have a minimal experience with Redhat (5.0 I believe. I had kernel 2.0 already), but I think it also had a habit of deciding what's best for me.

Anyway, enough off-topic.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: