View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@Mentalist
Thaf is really a pity and you have my full compassion.
Your alternate is a nice toy for me (see ubiboot),
but cannot really replace the N900!
Indeed. It's better than the feature phone I've been using as my alternative, in between the various N900 deaths, but it lacks in the biggest area that matters to me so much - being able to comfortably touch type. I've written entire paragraphs on the N900 while driving without ever taking my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road, because I'm so used to thumb-typing on that keyboard, and the ability to change the xkb symbol map made the shortage of keys a non-issue once I figured out how to do the remapping in the first year of owning one. Having to switch to a touchscreen-only device reminds me just how dangerous 'normal' texting while driving is because it demands so much more of your attention. Swype makes it a little less agonizing, but only a little. And no arrow keys, or page up/down, home, or end keys (which on the N900 I had thanks to aforementioned keyboard remap)... It's funny, xkb remapping was such a barely-power-user thing I got into before I ever programmed, but when it comes to daily usage, that's the biggest wall I hit in every other phone/tablet I've fiddled with. There's other niggling deficiencies of course, but a lot of them could be accepted with time, just as the N900's niggling deficiencies are accepted, and none of them dig so deeply into everything you do on the device. But that keyboard freedom/power, it feels like having your wings clipped when it's gone.

And guess what:
it HIT me too a few days ago.
On boot:
'Could not establish network connection. Contact service.'
That's it. No cellular function anymore.
I feel your pain sir, I do.

--and I do not parcours
Small nitpick: parkour and parcours are actually two different things, although the former term comes from warping the latter. Parcours is a formal competitive sport, parkour is more generally the art of efficient movement - they're closely related, though.

Anyway...

Waiting to be used as tablet, mail/browsing station at home (wife/kids)...
Yeah, I have to think of a use for my now-formerly-main N900. Thus far for me the N900s' fate has been that the previously main one becomes the programming device (where I do the majority of my coding and testing of apps and any on-device app building), and the one that formerly used to be the programming device becomes a blank slate for even more 'clean' testing - in case I ever needed a factory-flashed fresh device to test on, this one I could have no attachments to and the like. But now that my 3rd N900 has fallen in the line of phone-duty, I'm not sure what exactly it should be for, for now. Besides maybe my primary email/chat/IRC device, given that it's got alpine, all of my Conversations accounts, and almost all of my irssi logs on it already.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: