Thread: Harmattan?
View Single Post
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
The problem that I have with the quote I posted in this thread is Carrier Subsidized...
Many of us in the US and Canada have looked at Nokia as the last great hope to free us from the constraints that this business model has imposed over the years. We have seen how technology has been harbored and innovation has been stifled.
"Carrier subsidized" means different things to different people in different markets... it's not necessarily as bad as it seems to be in North America

For me, a carrier subsidized phone is the same phone I'd get from the manufacturers store, except its a lot cheaper (mostly: free), it doesn't work with another carriers SIM-card and it may have some applications pre-installed (or settings pre-configured).

I still can use it the same way as the original model. I am not forced to keep the applications and settings the carrier put on the phone. And I can even unlock it if I want to change the carrier (although this is usually done in dingy small stores in dark and narrow streets ).

So when I read "carrier subsidized", I just go "Wow, nice! My carrier will offer it for free!". Nothing more.

Last edited by benny1967; 2009-05-19 at 12:13.