View Single Post
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Hello Wikiwide.

I can't remember exactly but the SoC supports maximum about 55MP (or equivalent) image size so it's not CPU limitation.

I made the decision to use 12MP IMX363 for various reasons:

- First of all as you might know MP count does not reflect image quality. For any camera, the sensor size plays an important part. With mobile phone's sensor size being that small, increasing MP will often worsen the quality because the individual pixel is too small, and much of them became noise. (Maybe 808 is exceptional due to it's large sensor size)

- The sensor we are using has f/1.8 aperture and there are other option with much higher MP counts, from 13MP-20MP. However with "just" 12MP we can then get 1.4μm larger individual pixel and a better light.

- We don't want to join MP marketing war by over sampling the out put image size and waste memory / creating noise.

- Google's Pixel 3 also uses the same sensor.

If you want the camera better than the N900, then we will be very confident that you will be satisfied with the quality.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I hope that upgrade to a different camera will be possible in the future - probably depends on how the camera is connected to motherboard - because I do not mind having a huge, bulky camera module on the back of the phone. Upgradeability may depend on what kind of connection exists on the motherboard for the camera module...

Google Pixel 3 is apparently legendary for great photographs - I hope that this advantage isn't limited to Android Camera app, because I am not going to run Android (I am more likely to try to get Maemo Leste running on Pyra).

Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
I'm really disappointed that people are still crazy about megapixel count. I remember that since 2006 or so... how come people become so stupid they fall for same marketing trap for more than 15 years in a row???
Megapixel count is far from the only characteristic of camera/photograph quality. But when I take photograph, I want to be able to print an A4/or/A3 calendar with this photograph. A4 is 8.27in by 11.7in, right? At printer resolution of 1200DPI (some printers do have 2400DPI, but I doubt I have seen them), it becomes 9924 dots by 14040 dots. If dot=pixel, then 139MPx for an A4 photograph.

Yes, it's not a sane count. The generally accepted printing resolution for a quality photograph is 300 pixels/inch, which means that 9MPx photograph is quite sufficient for an A4 print. And also, printers nearly always leave white margins around the photograph - I guess that's how we found 5MPx photographs quite sufficient for our calendars.

Unless you have to crop something out of a photograph. But then, it would have been better to have used optical zoom in the first place? And optical zoom is a very rare feature in modern camera-phones...

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post: