View Single Post
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
The cuecat works quite well, but it is unfortunately cat-shaped.

I helped create a barcode scanning system for use in a warehouse, using the Nokia 770. Using an N800 (and I assume an 810) is easier because of the OTG adapter that can be used.

The barcode scanner sends the scanned code to the device (PC, N800) as a character string...just as if you had typed it in via keyboard. All conversion takes place in the scanner itself, so you do not need any software to interpret the scan. The cuecat, as mentioned in an earlier post, did some type of conversion when it scanned, so you might not be able to get a clean scan (although I seem to recall that it handled IBSN codes correctly).

We were not able to get laser scanner working on our system as it required too much power from the host to work (we used a powered usb hub and the 770 host mode did not provide power as I recall), but a CCD scanner worked fine. I would think a pen-type scanner would be best in terms of a smaller form factor as well.

Good luck (and now I am out to my garage to see if I can get one of my cuecats to work with my n800!)

ET