View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Dear @olf,

thank you very much for your letter as well as sending it open. I am very well aware of GPLv3 issue that Jolla has. Maybe not in full detail, but at least partially. Indeed, it is interesting that this time they did not mention any legal issues. Their reply has been polished over some time:

As stated also before, this is something we constantly evaluate. The current plan is still to proceed step by step, but we are not announcing any schedule for the update.

This step-by-step was refereed later from technical POV, but we don't know what is it referring to in practice. Although, I presume it is hard to update license to GPLv2.1, 2.2, ...

Going with GPLv3 version may require opening many (all?) SFOS closed components. We are talking about applications and libraries. That is another aspect they probably consider.

In general, I guess we have to keep asking and also look for whatever other solutions we can come up with.

Not sure that installing newer Qt in /opt (as I suggested) is such a great idea. I suspect there will be quite some packaging work involved in "breaking packages" in terms of removing all kind of "provides" to avoid clashes with the system-installed ones.

Cheers,

rinigus

PS: Note that for visibility on Jolla's side, we should have this correspondence on their forum. As far as I have seen so far, Jolla's folks don't comment over here, unfortunately.

PPS: Feel free to copy-and-paste the original letter at the new forum and I will paste the reply

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: