View Single Post
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
How incredibly insulting.
Which bit? A subset of the stuff discussed here is currently important enough to discuss on maemo-community. How would you categorise the distinction between:
  • stuff which is currently mainly discussed on -community with pointers to tmo,
  • stuff that which is the other way around
  • stuff that is only discussed on tmo
  • stuff that is only discussed on -community.

My impression is that the "big" stuff (where to hold the summit, council elections, karma, QA process) are primarily discussed on -community. Things which are less cross-cutting (user meetups, testing pushes) are discussed/promoted here.

Since, by your definition, only a handful of people actually do the community work, it should be fairly straightforward to ask those people to check the Community forum on talk.maemo.org on a regular basis.
-community is the evolution of the migard2maemo list. It is currently intended that this is where the work around maemo.org is discussed. Since most of the work on the infrastructure of maemo.org is paid for; that is what I meant.

Or even better, post a notification on the -community mailing list when a thread is started in the Community forum on t.m.o.
Canned responses apply:
  • There's more noise on tmo; even in the Community sub-forum. Reggie's new "subscribed sub-forum" feature is a godsend to those of us who use the fora, but it's still a pull mechanism.
  • Email is push.
  • It's easier to work with mailing lists offline. Some of us travel a lot.
  • It's easier to filter out threads which aren't of interest to you.
  • It's easier to repackage a mailing list into other systems (such as gmane et al) than it is a forum.
  • Threading is better on a mailing list.
  • The SNR is higher. I don't know why; I'm not suggesting that the people on a mailing list are better; it just is. In our circumstance. That's not to say that there aren't excellent posts and posters here either.

Why not the other way around? Why not post a link to tmo everytime there's a new -community thread?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post: