View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I don't think this is a good example
Because it does not fit your paradigm?

Take the N900 for comparison - a reasonably open device running Linux with a physical keyboard that you can actually use to call, send SMS messages and use mobile data on a daily basis. As a result there is still an active community many years after Nokia dropped any official support.
Indeed. And the progress has ground to a halt. There has not been an update for well over two years.

Even if we focus on the glory era when there was active development, It is still the odd one out amongst all other similar projects that are not backed by any commercial enterprise. All credit goes to Nokia for setting the initial conditions just right (the choice of Debian as a base, reasonably close to mainstream with not too many deviations, actively supporting the community - all the things that Jolla worked so hard to move away from).

Take projects closer to home. Like for example MER (dead) or even Sailfish itself (only progressing because of Jolla's own contribution, hardly anything worth mentioning from the so called "community"). Even your own project suffers. Don't get me wrong, it is a great project and I have full respect for you but I hope that even you admit that the progress would be much faster if you could focus on modRana full time at full pay and not on evenings and weekends as a hobby. And that is just an application, not a full blown OS.

I am sorry but the arguments stands. An OS support in general, and Sailfish in particular, depends on its life support on commercial backing. Sailfish without Jolla is dead.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: