View Single Post
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by chainsawbike View Post
well in my view your target market has two clear groups within it
1, those who just want a hardware keyboard for their phone
2, those who want real linux on a phone with a hardware keyboard
To this users groups distinctions, there are also two ways to use the device:
* keyboard closed : a touch friendly OS is needed
* keyboard open : a landscape friendly OS is needed, with good support for keyboard shortcuts

Sailfish OS is one of the best touch friendly OS in my mind, as it has been design with this in mind, whereas android is usable but can be a pain (small buttons, things in top and low bar, and all), and debian would need a UI for touch (KDE Plasma ? Hildon ?) and phone (with calls, sms, contacts and apps like that) that I am not sure exists.

Sailfish OS is not the most landscape friendly OS, for example the home screen or events views don't exist in landscape. If this phone is a success it may help to push them to add it. But for people who used an other-half hardware keyboard, it looks like a lot can be done, especially on the shortcuts side.
Android is a bit more landscape friendly, but I don't think the keyboard is a first class citizen. On my "old" Motorola PhotonQ, it is usable, but there are no shortcuts that I know to switch between apps, most buttons can't be reached by the keyboard, so that you constantly switch between the touchscreen and the keyboard.
Debian is obviously landscape friendly, but the chosen UI would have an impact to the usability too.

And finally, the OS will have an impact on the apps we can run:
* Sailfish : can run Sailfish apps, and can also run some standard linux app with some work. For android apps, Jolla's support is needed (or an open source emulator like AnBox or fDroid is finished), and Google Service is not available legally.
* Android : can run Android apps, and some linux apps with some work (chroot ?). Google Services are needed for some mainstream apps. Sailfish apps cannot run without a lot of work and maybe legal issues (Silica ?)
* Debian : can run linux apps, maybe Android apps through emulators (AnBox, fDroid). Google Service is also not available legally, and Sailfish apps would probably not run without a lot of work.

So I would prefer Sailfish, but for the success of the phone I understand that an Android flavour would help getting it to the masses, and that a community port of Sailfish would be enough (especially if you can help with as much info and sources on the drivers used).

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post: