View Single Post
What do those numbers signify? Are higher numbers better than lower ones?

No one is saying there are no issues with the browser (there most definitely are, the lack of any sort of text selection in text fields is one of the most striking problems as pichlo already mentioned, as well as the problem with crashing the entire device through certain websites which is clearly documented), just that for our purposes, it works just fine and is pretty fast.

I think what pichlo and I are also implicitly trying to say is that most of these problematic websites are those that load dozens of megabytes of images on their front page, along with dozens of massive third party scripts, multiple complete font sets, and so on. The main thing browser developers have to do is not to make their browser faster, but to constantly work around non-standard to completely broken websites. If everyone just chose to stick to the standards and hire competent people for the job, or in the case of companies like Google, stick to the standards they themselves helped create instead of making their websites work only in their own browser, there wouldn't be anywhere near as many problems, and the internet would be much faster.

Of course, a broken website shouldn't make a browser crash, and certainly not the entire system, but I'd take a guess and say 99% of performance problems are to blame on incompetent website developers rather than any real issues with the browsers.

To go off on a tangent, ever since Firefox updated their browser engine to 'Quantum', I've had nothing but trouble with its performance - and now it does the same thing as all the Webkit browsers in that if you scroll too quickly, the page just goes blank for a bit until that piece is loaded. Not looking forward to whenever that 'improvement' lands in the Sailfish browser.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post: