View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Hand on heart, that reputation is by and large justified. The vast majority of FOSS is crap. Just look at what's on offer in the Jolla store or, worse still, in Openrepos.
I wouldn't say that Jolla apps are a good representation FOSS, in fact those that depend on Jolla's proprietary Silica components probably can't even be considered to be FOSS. If it were Debian, those apps wouldn't be allowed in free and would have be placed in contrib or nonfree repositories which aren't considered to be part of the Debian distribution.

I don't really understand your relation between FOSS and the quality of software. In my experience, it's the other way. Have you seen Google Play? The vast majority of apps there are closed/proprietary, many of which are made by non-developers, students, etc. with little experience who want to jump on the "app" bandwagon and the quality is atrocious in most cases. Other more experienced Android developers will be more than happy make their apps freemium or have them include adverts. By contrast, this never happens in FOSS, and if ever it did, someone would just rebuild it without the crap. In general, FOSS developers, those who decide to share their code, tend to have more experience and have reason to give a sh¡t about the quality of the code they will be publishing for the world to see.

As for reputation, I'd argue that FOSS doesn't have a reputation at all amongst the general public. Most people don't know what FOSS is, and those that do know what it is, generally don't have a strong opinion about it.

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Baking your own bread is FAR easier...
I don't buy a single baked good.
I bake my own breads ...
far easier and more netting a physical result than cloud storage skills
I'd expect nothing less of Powdered Toast Man. As for the rest of us mere mortals, well most of us are more like that iiiiiidiot Stimpy. We don't bake our own bread, we buy it. You wouldn't want to taste our bread.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: