View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Oh, and given current 2G-off crisis, I want "concealed" USB ports so that cellular connectivity would be not hardwired into the device, but put into a replaceable USB stick. Would make the device much thicker, probably, especially with 4+ concealed USB ports (don't want sticks to be conspicuous / easy to lose / getting in the way of holding the device and using it).
That is a very good idea; having a device with internal slots for USB sticks makes a lot of sense from both security and extendability viewpoint; I had thought about this myself before. You could stick in not only modems but all range of other USB-niceties!

However there are quite a few practical problems with that approach; as you say it would make a device lot thicker, I'd say it is only practical in almost-laptop sized devices.
Another mechanical constraint is how large a space to reserve for each stick; USB devices vary in size a fair lot. Also in case of modem-type sticks, you need to design the enclosure so that the antennas get decent radiating environment.
There is also the fact that separate devices on USB bus consume more power than integrated solutions, this also suggests that the solution is only usable on larger devices with high-capacity batteries.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: