View Single Post
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Well, Purism has raised nearly $1.8 million. With 6 days to go they will probably end up just shy of $2 million which is good and exceeds the original goal by approximately 20%. Just looking at the funding page it seems like Purism has to produce about 2500 Librum 5 phones by about or around Jan 2019. Do you think this is doable? How does the probability of Purism's successful delivery of the Librum 5 compare to the Jolla Tablet. Sadly, Jolla just fell short of being able to deliver tablet (except to a few folks).
I think they deliberately overpriced it.
So even if the road is bumpy, they should have enough money to get through the tight spots.

Plus (unlike Jolla), they are not developing an entire OS on their own, instead they use a LOT of pre-existing software (again unlike Jolla).

So I think they have a good chance to succeed.

EDIT:
I also think they set realistic goals for the project, ie. they are not trying to enter the spec war, nor have any exotic piece of hardware which would be hard to support. (Or any complicated mechanical design.) So I believe they made a realistic assessment on what is doable and chose a form factor which would appeal to most people.

I personally would sooner buy something with a hardware keyboard (Gemini? Pocket?), but that is of course very out of scope for Purism.

Last edited by Venemo; 2017-10-19 at 10:05.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post: