View Single Post
To the N900 users: Check the section.

Warning: This is a beta.

Hi,

I like the media player applet on the N900 and after seeing Nicolai Hess's replacement widget, I thought it would be great if we could have something similar. So I thought it would perhaps be possible to port it over to the N800. I'm no programmer (patches certainly welcome!) and GUIs are also not my forte, so any GUI code will have to be stolen from nicolai.

Here's the result:

Features:
  • Play/Pause the currently playing track in the Media Player. If the Media Player is not running, pressing it will start the Media Player (in the wrong place, but still...)
  • Go to the next/previous track in the playlist
  • See the name of the MP3 file if the ID3 information is missing (Now Playing Notifier couldn't do this)

Limitations:
  • Pressing the next/previous button when a song is not playing will switch to the track but will also start playing. Unfortunately I don't know how to circumvent this, short of sleeping for a few seconds if the button's pressed while the media player is paused. Annoying!
  • The media player needs to be running. Have no plans to make the widget independent at all. libmetalayer is closed, for one
  • Extending on the above: You need to initially start playing in the media player before the applet's buttons will have any effect. If the song is stopped in the media player (not paused), then, again, the applet's buttons will not do anything

I've attached a tarball of the files to unpack to / (sorry, but I still need to learn how to create DEBs!) and the source. If you wish to build it, you'll need to copy /usr/lib/libmediaplayer* to your DIABLO_ARMEL target

Thanks to Nicolai Hess for the GUI code without which this wouldn't certainly have been possible and to Faheem Pervez for his/her Now Playing Notifier for some of the D-Bus stuff
Attached Files
File Type: gz media-player-widget-0.1.tar.gz (20.2 KB, 151 views)
File Type: gz widget.tar.gz (13.8 KB, 117 views)

Last edited by jstokes; 2010-12-08 at 19:21.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post: