View Single Post
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
what's wrong with video over USB C? Anything is better than HDMI anyway.

Yes IF it works and you don't have to have yeat another f.. dongle between mobile and external display...

Btw. How can it be modern laptops with USB-C can not be charged over USB-C? How can it be you can't use display over USB on ALL modern laptops? How can it be that I can STILL not use whatever USB-C charger for ANY damn phone or laptop?

Seriously USB-C sound good but in theroy it still is a mess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBb3w4AUHkw

Now question is will it work i librem5? My guess is there is more unstable software that is involved to make that display bridging display data over USB3 than it is with an regular HDMI solution. Let's hope I am wrong...

Also USB-C is still kind of new and hard to get everything up and working since it is more software involved both on the host and some kind of external chip on the "device side". Now I don't say they should go USB2.0 but they probably has plenty of other items that need to work with USB. One big issue is charging...

I mean look at the mess with RPI4 and non working charging on first revision of the board. USB3 is more complicated than 2.0. Different handshaking and external chip etc... So more software need to just work with this new version.

All I am saying is new tech means more instability.

I actually is not against USB-C. It seems so far better than MicroUSB contact but I am not convinced it will replace everything.

It may sound good with "just one cable for everything" but in real life it is almost never they case.

They said exacly the same with USB1.1 STILL all those ****ing adapators and the madness with converters. Same with DP/HDMI XXXX,

And I know it IS even worse madness with all display contacts DP/HDMI.
Now IF USB-C work I would be fine.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2019-07-30 at 15:13.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post: