View Single Post
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Here's a question: would it be possible to cobble together a Maemo-like interface for the PocketCHIP? I just received one of these wonderful little handheld portable computers. It doesn't have a lot of processing power, and the screen is just 480x272 resolution.

But the nice thing is that it runs Debian. Not Android, not Ubuntu Touch; just straight-up vanilla Debian. (It comes with a very minimalist "home screen" app that has shortcuts to a few apps and some settings, but that's it.)

Anyway, from my point of view, the best thing about this device is that it is unbelievably easy to repair or modify the hardware, and it is being produced in very large volumes. (And it's cheap!) So, for me, it makes a decent platform on which to do portable Unix tasks well into the future.

A Maemo-like interface on top would make the device even nicer.
Well, if it supports Debian, then we could run the same OS configuration on PocketCHIP and on N900.

But it's not only about the interface, gnome-shell is somehow similar to the Maemo interface. We have the apps too. This is a bigger problem.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post: