View Single Post
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
It is sold as a mobile computer with the Internet in its heart, and it was introduced as 'step 4 of 5' for tech leaders / lovers.

If you want a mature Nokia mobile phone with extensive Java support and full SIM features then there are plenty of choices based on Series40 and Symbian. I think Nokia has been clear on that since http://maemo.nokia.com was launched this Summer.
I'm sorry, but you are not correct on this one. The N900 is a mobile computer, if might be step 4 of 5, etc. But this is perceived as such only from tech people who had some maemo experience before or who are somewhat tech savvy enough to do research, read tech blogs and all that geek stuff.

Moreover, a lot of Nokia ads advertise it as a mobile phone with lots of capabilities:
http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...#/main/landing

There are others that don't even mention "computer" anywhere.

When a regular user sees that, it is obvious that he expects a mobile phone better than or equal any other that are displayed at the site (That means better than series 40 or series 60, but the regular buyer would not know it).

Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The N900 is the best mobile device I have ever got. I'm really happy with it, using it at all times. I have met plenty of very interesting people with the income and the chance to buy whatever high-end device, and they had an N900.
I like the N900 too and I'm not planning on any ohter phone for now. For me Nokia N900 is the best somewhat open mobile device with phone stack that I've been interested in. Where it shines more than any other (yet) is the idea that I can develop, port or adapt any FOSS software for it, if I want to. it also has some decent hardware specs.

If it weren't for the "fixed in maemo6", "wont fix" or "make it a brainstorm, this is not easy to fix" typical responses for filing bugs, the N900 would be a real winner.

When you say: "it will be fixed on the next version, but I don't know if your device will be compatible with tat version" you are saying that it just won't be fixed. When some of those things are really expected things for a mobile cell phone, people start to get angry.

Last edited by soeiro; 2010-03-02 at 16:41. Reason: typo

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post: