Thread: Pwnie Express
View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
People really need to chill. Countless businesses make money off of Open Source software. Nokia packaged linux + headache-inducing-binary-blobs + decently-good (at the time) hardware to make the N900. Are you *****ing about them making money off other people's FOSS? No.

There's nothing wrong with this. Yes people can install basically all of the stuff in the PwnieExpress on their N900s already. But just like Ubuntu's maker makes money from selling support, and could legally make money from re-selling hardware that they prepackage with Ubuntu + a bunch of goodies, it makes perfect sense for someone to provide N900s prepackaged with FOSS pentesting tools, if the entire thing comes neatly packaged with a guarantee of support, then it WILL be worth it to some people out there.

Now, I personally don't know what pentesting professionals would find the extra cost worth it, but when it comes to businesses and "enterprise" endeavors, decisions that aren't the most cost-beneficial tend to happen a lot and I'm sure some of the rationalizations for them are accurate.

At any rate, you can think that it makes no practical sense for someone to buy the non-free version of Pwnie Express, and voice that if you really want, but if you think it's fundamentally wrong for them to make money of a product that bundles FOSS, then I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Now if there's GPL violations going on that's another matter, but I haven't seen anyone bring that up...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: