View Single Post
My N900, purchased in early 2014, is sadly lying on the desk, waiting for a new touchscreen (and reinstalling all the software as well - I messed it by restoring backup in desperate hope that touchscreen problem was software-related and eventually had to reflash stock image). N900 is the first smartphone that I really liked, and everything else is total crap - for my usage scenario, of course.

Anyway, I ordered a Motorola Droid 4 a couple hours before the touchscreen, and it was delivered today. I really like the keyboard and appreciate HDMI-out and the possibility to use Lapdocks. Storage - a year ago I'd say it was a dealbreaker but now 128GB microSDs are quite affordable, so it's OK. Audio quality seems somewhat worse than N900 with beats - maybe I'm just idealizing N900 since I haven't used it for a whole month, and forgot how it sounds. Screen is... bigger and not transreflective, that's for sure. Too bright in the dark on lowest setting vs N900 with custom brightness, so I applied EasyEyez filter. Again, the keyboard is something fantastic.

Android now... As is (the device came with latest official build 4.1.2 Android & webtop 3.0) it's snappy and nice, and I don't need much customization of it. Finding a good app for the purpose is like searching diamond ring in a thrashcan - there is ****load of crappy unstable ad-filled software, and most reviews are obviously paid for thus don't help at all. I used a couple touchscreen-only Android phones for ~ a month as temporary replacements - and It was very frustrating experience, especially typing. I definitely recommend Perfect viewer for comics/pdf & VLC player for videos.

Why didn't I get another N900? Well, I wanted something new and really like the lapdock idea, it's kinda my vision of future technology come true, wish N900/Neo900 were capable of it. Also, Droid 4 costs ~ half the N900 price on eBay ($45 for the phone + $22 for shipping in my case)... through where I am currently located, they sell N900s for $50 and even less, and don't sell Droids at all.

What next? Well, I'm probably gonna get a Lapdock. =) And of course fix the N900 once the replacement touchscreen arrives, and get rid of all the phones that lack qwerty keyboard. =) Am I going to jump off Maemo ship? Probably not. N900 still has its uses, and it's really great community here. But so far Droid 4 is absolutely what I expected from it, and if Lapdock experience is as good as described, it will remain my main phone even after N900 is fixed.

Little update: just had to root the device to remap its' keyboard a bit, hope that'd be the only mod I need. =)

Last edited by FlashInTheNight86; 2014-12-17 at 16:30.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlashInTheNight86 For This Useful Post: