View Single Post
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
If you subscribe to Nuevasync.com (paid, I think there is a free trial, but no permanent free plan), you can sync Google contacts and calendar via Exchange. That would actually be real, two-way syncing, and you can add other devices too. I used to have it for syncing my Nokia C7 and N900, but used it only for calendar because N900 handled the contacts badly and generated duplicates and triples.
To sync mail with this service I think costs more than just contacts&cal.
Otherwise Google doesn't support syncing either via Exchange or SyncML. CalDAV is the only option really for Google, which very hopefully our Jollas will learn soon. If it does, I would be very surprised and disappointed if it didn't do proper 2-way sync. man that would be so pointless.
Or you could dump Sf native calendar and use an Andro calendar app that syncs with Google.

Originally Posted by mattaustin View Post
Hi - I have a few questions relating to contact/mail/calendar syncing on the Jolla.

Has anyone worked out exactly to what extent "syncing" with Google or Exchange does?

I'm trying to determine if it is worth upgrading to paid Google Apps for the Exchange support - but without knowing the differences and being able to test it, I'm not sure if it's worth the upgrade.

I'm also trying to confirm what happens when I add a Google Account to the device, and what the word 'sync' means for contacts/mail/calendar.

"Google" Account
  • Contacts - The contacts appear on the device, but are changes actually 'synced' (either way) or is it just a one-off copy?
  • Mail - Sets up imap but without idle/push
  • Calendar - Nothing available yet, CalDAV will come in an update (but don't know if this will 'sync' or just copy?).

"Exchange" Account
  • Contacts - how does this work - does it sync in both directions?
  • Mail - how does this work - does email arrive instantly, or is it only checked every x mins?
  • Calendar - how does this work - does it sync in both directions?