View Single Post
I can't say for sure - it's not like I can come in and claim I'm going to have Bluetooth, Sound, GPS, and a Holy Grail before I've even got any of it working.

I'll lay out my steps so far and for the next few days (this weekend - then it's back to school and work and I won't have much time - I'll be sure to post patches for those who want to pick up wherever I leave off), for those interested:

So far I've commented out the PMEM-dependent framebuffer code and disabled pageflipping to get a UI to come up so I can debug. I've made a new init.rc and bootscripts which (similar to solca's) load the WiFi driver, start the watchdog kicker, and attempt to initialize the DSP. I've modified a bit of the userland to enable file-based battery polling (again similar to but not exactly like solca's work).

My next steps are:

Download the latest linux-omap tree and latest android tree and merge+build them. This way I won't have to work around old stuff in solca's kernel (i.e. no pmem). UPDATE: This is going to take a little bit (expected) - Android OMAP kernel is based on 2.6.29 while linux-omap got a *lot* of changes I really really want (i.e. native retu watchdog support, new graphics, etc.) even after 2.6.31, so I'll have to rebase Android on latest linux-omap (others have done 2.6.31 rebases for other devices before, so it should be possible) and get everything together.

See if I can get PMEM-based framebuffer to work and if the newer kernel doesn't crash with pageflipping. This will improve UI performance a lot if it happens. Since the OMAP2 graphics framework was almost entirely refactored between about linux-omap 2.6.28 and 2.6.32 I suspect there will at least be different bugs now.

Patch the remainder of the userspace to get things stable (mostly keymaps, which are currently crashing).

Explore audio - it looks like solca et. al. were experimenting with ALSA configs, and it's probably mostly a matter of getting Android to understand how to route the audio. UPDATE: Every other Android device uses the ALSA SoC driver, and the N810 is supported nicely now in ALSA SoC too! I think things should be pretty straightforward once I get the kernel working.

Explore Bluetooth - if I can get the kernel to cooperate, this should be very straightforward as Android uses a quite-standard bluez-based BT stack. Unfortunately it looks Bluetooth got shuffled around a lot in linux-omap lately so things are less certain.

Explore GPS - Haven't looked into it yet, so I can't say anything.

Last edited by bri3d; 2009-11-29 at 06:50.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to bri3d For This Useful Post: