View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Hmm. Honestly, it just feels to me like this is asking the question backwards. Whenever you state that you can create mobile device X to serve purpose Y using an OS based on AOSP, I get the feeling that I could already point to an existing mobile device X serving purpose Y that runs Google Play-based Android. Or, at the very least, I could produce such a device. And in doing so, I'd avoid all the costs of creating a new OS, and still be able to sell to users who already have experience (and infrastructure!) running standard Android devices.
I think it's too late to do a new OS if you were starting in 2015, or at least, how you would consider a traditional OS of hardware adaptation, middleware, linux kernel, c libraries and stuff. What's left?

If, instead, what you are trying to sell is the OS itself, I think you need to look at the concept of the OS in a new way. The Solu guys are a good example here; they are (bizarrely in my opinion) still tying themselves to a specific hardware device, but their OS is instead mostly cloud-based, and allows you to perform tasks that straddle devices (and the internet itself). In short, they do something that iOS and Android don't do (or, at least, don't do well)

<snip>
They are (AFAIK) a web runtime on top of a supposedly heavily modified Android.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: