View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
As far as I understand there are 2 However if I wanted to create a custom image for the n900 I can do that but I would have to exclude the closed components.

Are the components seperate enough so I can build a custom image on the n900 and install the closed components too?
You can make your own image with the closed components but currently not redistribute.

In the area where you grab closed images (after accepting EULA), there is a kickstart file with a auto-generated repository URL (unique to yourself, do not distribute at breach of EULA). This is same template which the closed image was built from

This repository contains the closed components (BME, wifi firmware, bt firmware, etc), so you can make your own images.

Even though this isn't open source, I'm personally happy cos we can grab the closed source parts with ease due to our ownership of the devices.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: