Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
New release is out: 1.6.0, 1.6.1

This is a release which does not bring any new features, its a major rework on internals. In particular, I have changed the way the page stack was implemented. In addition, I reduced the number of python calls from QML by caching configuration on QML side.

The introduced changes were all over the code and, while testing has been done, its possible that I missed something. So, if you hit a bug, please file the issue or report here. I will do my best to fix all ASAP.

In addition, many translations have been updated. We are still missing translators for few languages though: FI SL HU.

In this version, I added fonts resource for the raster maps which will fix POIs not showing up when starting with these maps (HERE, HSL, OpenCycleMap, Sputnik, Thunderforest Transport).

BTW, looks like MapQuest is back for us. So, its users can start using this service again.

Edit: Just hit a bug on starting navigation or nearby search from POI (either panel or dedicated page). Should be fixed now in 1.6.1

Now, after the version is described, there are few more subjects for discussion.

Mapbox GL QML plugin

When working with @pichlo, I have hit few times the case where Pure Maps was hanging on my device. I managed to get backtrace and it pointed to OpenSSL functions. Then I made a version of Mapbox GL plugin which added few locking functions for OpenSSL. For @pichlo, this made startup slower and did not fix bug that he was hitting. For me, though, when running SSL-locks enabled Mapbox GL resulted in not getting any hangs on Pure Maps for a week. [which doesn't prove much since the events were rare anyway]. However, if you do experience that Pure Maps fails to stop (can be observed by the issues with the start of Pure Maps later and through examining output of ps), I would suggest to try Mapbox GL QML plugin with SSL locks:

http://repo.merproject.org/obs/home:...la.armv7hl.rpm

(for i486 see the corresponding repo).

Please report your experience if you start using it. @pichlo, you may want to try again since I changed the startup sequence of Pure Maps and maybe it will not be as slow as when you tried before.

Mapbox access

Our counts for Mapbox tile downloads are so far OK, will be somewhere around 30-40K tiles per month. Which is relatively close to the border of the free tier - 50K. According to the current conditions, If we do hit over 50K, I'll have to pay for extras or get account suspended. I have contacted Mapbox and had a discussion on different ways to resolve it. Since they cannot limit me to 50K, as a solution, Mapbox suggested to ask users to register on their site and get their own access code. This is a solution that they consider as compliant with their conditions for open source projects.

In practice, I will monitor the situation and will introduce a simplish way to enter the access code in the future versions. Current code initialization is done with such extension in mind. While a bit of a pain for users, it will allow us to use the very high quality tiles (styling and updates) that they provide for free and without any cost. It will also scale with the user base.

Last edited by rinigus; 2018-09-23 at 10:48.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: