View Single Post
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Jolla arrived 18th of Dec. After a couple of days fiddling with Jolla I find myself really enjoying the OS as well as the device. Jolla seems sturdy and the OS is fluid (way to go Wayland! - let's get rid of the x on the desktop as well!). A noteworthy thing is that after reading this and other forums I sense there is a community emerging.

I had sensation of familiarity. I was able to login to the device with ssh and explore how the OS is organized. While logged in, I did some file transfers with sftp, installed Python (2.7) with pkcon and launched vim (/bin/vi). It was like coming home after being able to use N900 in a more or less similar manner.

For me the only problem was getting calendar sync working with MS Exchange after I read that Google had dropped their support and caldav wasn't implemented yet to SailfishOS.

I got the calendar sync working by switching from Google Calendar to Microsoft's Outlook (which includes email and calendar amongst other services). I hope there will be alternatives for Google and Microsoft in the future.

Once gPodder, CuteSpotify and CuteTube reach Jolla's software market I will get rid of Alien Dalvik. I mean, thanks to community (which I think Jolla is a part of), I have email, calendar, spotify (WIP), rss-feed as well as twitter already.

I hope Jolla manages to find it's niche in the mobile market so that the development of the SailfishOS (with upstream to Mer, Nemo and QT) and the devices will continue.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to cloudbuster For This Useful Post: