View Single Post
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I got interested in this topic and compared prices for three phones in my country: the iPhone 3Gs, the Nokia N97 and the Nokia N900. I took the original price (day they became available here) and the price 6 months later. Prices are taken from an online service that lists cheapest available offers.

Here are the results expressed as "price after 6 months as percent of original price":

iPhone 3Gs: 79% of the original price
Nokia N97: 82% of the original price
Nokia N900: 87% of the original price

In other words, somebody who bought an iPhone 3GS on day 1 lost 21% of his money if he sold the device half a year later. N97 owners lost 18% and N900 owners would lose only 13%.
This is indeed true in stores (where prices rarely drop or the drop isn't significant) however in the used market is where the N900 takes a beat.

Dunno about other places, but here in Portugal (Yeah we got a N900 or two, Thanks Valério !) an USED iPhone 3GS can go for around 500/550€ while a used N97 goes for around 350€ and the rare fews (i've seen 2 N900's) are going for around 390€.

The few people I know that bought an N900 either switched to other "phones" since they didn't take the time to research this was indeed a full Linux box with all the goods and the bads that come with it or had hardware problems (screens/mics/reboots) and no avaiable replacement so they got another equipment.

Some still have it but aren't that quite happy since they were excepting more of a phone and less of a computer. For me this is the most awesome device i've ever owned (Came from several HTC's/Asus running WM or Android) but the Linux sysadmining for some years can help a bit with that...